Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Life Lessons from Little Ones

Have you ever thought about how simple, yet profound, the mind of a child can be? Working in Kids Ministry or with kids in any capacity is an absolute blessing from God. Even as adults, our human minds are incapable of knowing everything. But have you ever considered that you could even learn from a child?
In my years of working with kids, it has happened to me time and time again. With a Bachelors and Masters Degree, I would consider myself to be a fairly educated individual. However, some of the greatest lessons I have learned in life haven’t come from a classroom setting, they have come from the mouths of the little ones that I am trying to teach. I distinctly remember one incidence when I was teaching a lesson about pride and I was using the example of a lion. I quickly drew a picture of a lion on the board to help demonstrate my point. After the class, one of my students came up to me and said “I know an easier way to draw a lion.” She proceeded to write the number 5 on the board a quickly transform it into a lion. It was amazing!
1 Timothy 4:12 in The Message Bible says, “Get the word out. Teach all these things. And don't let anyone put you down because you're young. Teach believers with your life: by word, by demeanor, by love, by faith, by integrity.” The Bible clearly says that even the young can teach us with their life. I challenge you to channel your inner child, let down your guard, get down and play with the kids you are ministering to. When they see you having fun, they will have fun too!  And don’t be surprised if you learn something from them along the way.  I trust you will be blessed beyond measure.
Shon

No comments:

Post a Comment